Flower Vase

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Silicon Valley Open Studio

It is official I am participating in this year's Open Studio.  Visitors will be coming by the first 2 weekends in May.  This will be my 4th time.  My work has changes so much.  In the beginning I offered collage work and decoupage boxes including Judaic theme Shabbat candle boxes.  Next time I painted and decorated metal chair planters along with Mah Jongg tile jewelry and Menorahs.  During this time I was taking classes learning the fundamentals of fused glass art.  The medium is such a complex and fascinating art form.

I finally offered for sale my fused glass at the 2008 Open Studio.  I waited until I felt my work was good enough and my studio was available  for viewing. We are asked to let visitors in our work space and be available to demonstrate what we do.  Having people around glass was problematic for me. I needed to find something to show without having a lot of cut glass around.  I decided to demonstrate the cold work needed to finish off a fused piece before the final fire polish firing. I turned out some people even asked to use the grinder to see what it was like to smooth out the piece.  I will probably to it again this year.

I focus on one or two major shows a year.  Last year was the To Life Jewish Festival and The Sun Gallery Boutique. I find the spacing is enough to produce enough fused glass without too much pressure. Also, I need space to store the completed pieces until the next show. This Open Studio will probably  be the last one at this house.  The next place I set up a glass studio will be planned to allow for work space and storage.  More to follow. See you in May.

No comments:

Followers