Flower Vase

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Just Having Fun "smashing glass"

This is the time of year I just kick back and have fun in the studio.  The 2010 shows are over, the unsold merchandise is repacked and waiting for the new season to start. 

Since participating in the Sun Gallery Holiday Boutique, I joined ArtFire to sell online.  Ran into problems and have yet to set up my page.  I am better working with glass than I am with web sites.  I went to Half Moon Bay a while ago with friends and bought blown glass rocks by the pound.  I have used this type of glass used for glass blowing in the past to make unusual jewelry pieces.  The excess glass is junked on the hot glass floor and discarded.  It is often multi colored and when smashed with a hammer I clean and fire the smaller pieces. Some don't look good and I throw them away, but there are enough surprisingly lovely results to make it worth while. My  friends spent time in my studio and chose the glass they wanted to work with.  After a few hesitant blows with the hammer they smashed and then gathered the smaller pieces.  Using mini molds for specific shapes and firing without molds many cabochons were made. After firing , shaping and fire polishing my friends came back ready to make pins, earrings, and pendants.  If you ever have a chance try doing this. It is lots of fun.  I forgot to get photos before they took their art work home. Sorry.  Maybe I will post some of mine when I am finished.  Of course, I am the last one to work on this project.

No comments:

Followers