Flower Vase

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Glass Exhibit of Kaus Moje

Here I am in the heart of the Oregon Glass World, Portland. Sunday 8/31/08 I visited the Portland Art Museum especially to see the fantastic exhibit of kiln formed and wheel-carved glass by artist Klaus Moje. He started with blown glass more than 50 years ago and evolved and pushed the glass boundaries over the last 30 years. This 68 piece retrospective of the work of this world renowned artist from Australia illustrated his latest style of fused glass. His current show focus is on pattern design, so precise and vivid many looked like a mass of colorful bar codes. His work reminds me of the abstract designs by the renown Israeli artist Agam. Using the Bullseye Glass Factory in Portland, Kraus Moje created a massive four panel work "The Portland Panels" which were debuted from May 31 to September 7, 2008.

In fact, they are the reason I knew about this exhibit. Here is the description that Bullseye sent out. I knew I had to find a time to go to Portland to see his work.

"NEW Klaus Moje 2-Book Bundle With the recent publication of Klaus Moje by Portland Art Museum, there now exist two volumes devoted exclusively to the life and career of this innovative artist, teacher, and father of the contemporary kiln-glass movement. Bullseye is proud to offer both books, bundled together in an attractive slipcase, at a special bargain price. Klaus Moje documents the thirty-year Moje retrospective that was mounted by and is currently on exhibition at Portland Art Museum. The 68 pieces in the retrospective trace the progression of the master's work and his unparalleled contributions to expression and technique. The book features essays by Dan Klein and Bruce Guenther and a technical perspective on the Portland Panels by Ted Sawyer."

Of course, I bought one of the books at the museum. I needed to save some money for shopping at Bullseye. I went on Tuesday to see what's new and exciting that I could not live without. Yea, I found a few exciting packages of cut up patterned glass rods to use as accents in my work. On the plus side I did buy some basic supplies I really did need.

No comments:

Followers