Flower Vase

Friday, September 26, 2008

Surpising Art Glass Finds

I traveled to Oregon with my daughter Sara at the end of August. One of our stops was at the Newport Aquarium. The Oddwater was their current exhibit. We went to see fish and this time they took back seat to the beautiful blown glass. Yes glass!! The fish were exhibited in tanks that also displayed beautiful glass sea vegetation. There was coral, seaweed, barnacles, shells and tubes for fish to swim through. I even saw real swimming seahorses. The glass pieces still took center stage. The blown glass was provided by a local studio, "The Edge Art Gallery" you can see their work on the website.

Before we left I went to the gift shop and found that their fused glass was too expensive for me. One 5" glass coaster was more than $20. I sell a set for $25. Maybe I need to raise my prices. This stop turned into a terrific surprise.

While in Portland I planned to stroll through "Art in The Pearl" over Labor Day weekend. We had a beautiful day for the event. Lots of interesting and different art. The styles presented are very different from what I see down here. It 's more organic, quirkier, and less commercial. I found some interesting techniques that I would like to try. Without directions I will wing it and see what happens. Maybe I will have something for my holiday shows in November and December. My studio awaits.

No comments:

Followers