Flower Vase

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Draped Bowls

My next show is just a few weeks away. I am selling in Palo Alto on November 14 at MECDA's Gala Show and Fundraiser in the Cubberley Auditorium. Detailed information about the Middle Eastern Dance event is found at //www.sfbamecda.org/ check out the list of dancers, prices and vendors. If you plan to come you can save a few dollars with a discount coupon. Check my blog in a few days to have me send you coupons by email.

The $8 ticket is good for the whole day and the activities include individual and group dancing during the day. And the 2 plus hour Gala Show with invited dancers tops off the day's event. There will be a market place to shop till you drop. So take a few breaks, eat, watch the dancing, and shop again. And a raffle of donated items from the vendors takes place that evening. Money from the raffle is donated to Next Door Solutions to Domestic Violence.

Refreshments and hot foods and drink will be available all day too. The committee is very happy that Nancy's Catering will be back again. Her soups were a big hit last February.

Back to me......I have tried many ways to present my glass in a friendly come and touch way. I think I finally have a solution using a new display configuration using opaque plastic cubes. They stack and I can show off my individual glass pieces better and in a safer environment. And the glass art is higher at eye level. Easier for buyers to see and touch.

I am continuing to design and fire draped glass to form bowls. These bowls can be used for candy, candles, flowers, even guest soaps. One example how you can use then is to group them together with candles to cast a romantic glow or string them along a holiday table. If you don't want to use candles when entertaining LED lights can be used instead.

When I place round flat pieces of colored glass on the tall stainless steel forms the heat from the kiln slowly starts to soften the glass. As the temperature increases the glass heats up and starts to drape over the form ending in soft folds. When the glass cools these folds have created a unique bowl. Think snowflakes. No two are exactly the same. They are pretty little things just waiting for a spot in your home.

Next time I will write about the Christmas ornaments. I have added another feature this year that is a visual improvement to the style I designed last season. Aways adding new ideas and improvements.

No comments:

Followers